Site Player

Friday, March 30, 2012

Kimbra

Kimbra Johnson is an incredibly talented singer/songwriter out of New Zealand. Her sound is loosely classified as jazzy multi-generational pop with a modern touch that is unlike any other artist I've heard; her lyrics are dangerously vulnerable making them unavoidably personable; her voice is strong, captivating, and highly versitile. What else can I say about this girl?


At the tender age of 12, the kiwi performed the national anthem before 27,000 people at the Auckland vs Waikato NPC rugby final. If that doesn't give you an idea of just how poised and talented this girl is maybe a listen to some of her tunes will.

Recently, Kimbra's vocals in Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" have been highly noted and don't get me wrong, that song is brilliant but there's just something about her originals that caught my ear a while back and continue to hold it...

Kimbra's debut album Vows was released this past fall in both New Zealand and Australia and is set to release in the US on May 22nd. If you like what you hear go get it!

To this day "Two Way Street" remains my favorite Kimbra song, and the Sing Song session my favorite version of it — the video shows a bit of her spunk too:



"Settle Down" at Sing Song Studios:

No comments:

Post a Comment